Take a Bite
Apple Recipes & Nutrition
Did You Know?
Fresh apples are a delicious and nutritious snack. An average apple contains around 130 calories.
2 pounds (lbs) of apples make 3 cups of applesauce.
1 bushel of apples makes 14-20 quarts of applesauce
To keep apples crisp, keep them cold. Apples ripen 8 to 10 times faster at room temperature. Dip apples in lemon juice after slicing apples to prevent browning.
Apple Nutrition Facts
The homespun wisdom about apples is proving itself true in the lab. Not only are apples low in calories and high in fiber, but nutritionists and scientists are finding that apples can prevent health problems or at least reduce health risks our bodies face everyday. It's their preventative and curative properties that are capturing the spotlight in numerous studies around the world. Some of the studies have found:
Antioxidant phytonutrients in apple juice help reduce cholesterol, especially LDL cholesterol (low-density lipoproteins or bad cholesterol), helping prevent cardiovascular disease.
Antioxidant phytonutrients also help reduce the risk of heart disease á Phytonutrients in apples slow the growth of colon cancer and liver cancer in cells.
Phytonutrients in apples lower the risk of thrombotic stroke.
Flavonoids, especially the flavonoid, quercetin, found in apples, appear to reduce the risk of lung cancer. Some studies suggest they cut the risk of lung cancer in half.
Apples appear to improve lung function , in general, because they contain antioxidants.
Apples help strengthen bones.
People with diets high in flavonoids, such as those found in apples, are 20% less likely to develop cancer.
Apples are high in fiber. About 80% of the fiber in apples is soluble fiber which reduces cholesterol. The remaining 20% is insoluble fiber which may help prevent cancers.
Potassium, which is found in apples, is important in regulating blood pressure.
Apple Snacking Tips
Virginia apples, pre-packaged in nature's own wrapper, are the perfect take-along foods for on-the-go teens and adults. With more than one-third of US adolescents overweight and with many more worried about it, the 80 calorie apple can be a delicious part of a nutritious weight control program.
Virginia apples contain no cholesterol, fat or sodium. They are high in complex carbohydrates and also contain Vitamin C and potassium with calcium, iron, carotenoids such as Vitamin A, thiamin, magnesium and phosphorus.
Substitute apple slices for jelly on peanut butter sandwiches.
Slice apples cross-wise & top with nut butter, chocolate chips, cereal or other treats.
Slice apples & serve with a dip of peanut butter mixed with a tablespoon of honey.
Freeze applesauce, then whip it in a blender for an apple "slushie".
Freeze individual serving boxes of apple juice and put into bag lunch to keep other food cool. The apple juice will thaw by lunch time.
Tasty Apple Recipes
Fall in love with these delicious apple recipes!
Click the chef's hats below to start cooking.